A classic of the Peruvian gastronomy is the Papa a la Huancaína. A simple but delicious preparation that consists on boiled potatoes and eggs accompanied by a Yellow sauce made with the Peruvian Yellow peppers. This special sauce is the one that gives the dish its name, since it is a special kind of pepper used all around Peru for everyday meals.
If you want to experiment for the first time with the taste the Peruvian food can offer, we strongly recommend this recipe, since it’s easy and does not require any difficult ingredient, you can use it as accompaniment for your food. The way to serve it may variate from different regions of Peru. For example: Some people use lemon and chili in the sauce. Here we show you the general way to enjoy the Papa a la Huancaína. Expand your palate and enjoy this simple and classic Peruvian recipe.
Ingredients (For 8 portions)
- 35 oz. of potatoes (White or yellow potatoes are great for this recipe)
- 14 oz. of fresh white cheese
- 1 cup of evaporated milk
- 2 peruvian yellow peppers or also known as aji Amarillo
- 1 Small package of soda crackers
- 2 Oz. black olives
- 2 Eggs
- 2 Teaspoons of garlic paste
- 1 Small onion
- Parsley springs
- A few Lettuce leaves
- Oil as needed
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Wash and peel the potatoes, then boil them with water and a pinch of salt until you are able to nail the potatoes with a fork. Then drain them and cut them in slices of 1/3 inches.
- Boil the eggs on a pot with water until they are hard. Let them cool and then peel then and cut them in slices of 1/3 in.
- Cut the onion and peruvian yellow peppers into small cubes. Make sure the yellow pepper has no seeds.
- On a hot pan with oil, fry the chopped onion and the peruvian yellow pepper with the garlic paste until the onion seems transparent. Then take it out of the fire and let it cool down.
- Now it’s time to prepare the sauce, for this you need a blender. Blend together the stir-fry made previously with the fresh cheese, the soda crackers and the evaporated milk. Try to achieve a dense sauce, try it and correct it with salt and pepper to taste.
- Now the creative part: Serving. To serve the Papa a la Huancaína first you must place the lettuce leaves on the plate, over them place the slices of potatoes. Cover the potatoes with the prepared sauce and decorate it with the black olives, the egg slices and parsley springs.
This preparation can take almost 1 hour and it is a great alternative for a quick and nutritive meal. Since it is really colorful and healthy, it is a great option to serve to children for lunch or dinner. You can try many variations of this dish or use the sauce for other preparations, since it’s really versatile.