One of the favorite dishes of daily Peru gastronomy is the healthy Peruvian Lomo Saltado. With French fries and sautéed vegetables as regular accompaniments, this recipe is what you need if you are looking for a healthy and delicious meal.
Perfect for a change of routine and with bright colors it will surely bring you and your family a great experience of Peruvian tastes. You can experiment with the ingredients, for example you may try with different vegetables according to your tastes. The secret for a perfect Lomo Saltado is using good quality beef. Get to know this easy and tasty recipe!
Ingredients (For 4 portions)
- 1 ½ lb. of Beef loin
- 1 Red onion
- 2 Tomatoes
- 1 Tablespoon of vinegar
- 2 peruvian yellow peppers or also known as aji Amarillo
- ¼ Tablespoon of garlic paste
- 15 oz. of Potatoes (Yellow potatoes are recommended for this recipe)
- 1 Red pepper
- 100ml of Peru Sillao Kikko (Or Soya sauce)
- 7 fl oz. Beef broth
- 5 stalks of scallions
- 1 Teaspoon of ground oregano
- ½ tablespoon of cumin
- Oil as needed
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cut the beef loin into small medium strips and on a medium bowl mix them with the garlic paste, cumin, oregano, vinegar, salt and pepper. Let it rest for 10 minutes for it to marinate it. You may marinate them longer for better taste (Until 2 hours)
- Cut the red onion, red pepper, peruvian yellow pepper and the tomatoes into thick slices or quarters (Whichever you prefer) and keep apart. Also, chop into fine slices scallions and keep on another bowl.
- Heat up a pan with oil with high heat and once its temperature is high enough, add the marinated beef strips. Cook for about 2 minutes until it’s lightly brown on both sides
- Take off the pan the beef strings and keep them apart. On the same pan add with a little bit of oil the chopped red onion, red Pepper, peruvian yellow pepper and the tomatoes. Sauté them for a couple of minutes.
- Low to medium the heat and add the Sillao sauce and the beef broth to the vegetables on the pan and mix them for 3 minutes. Then add the beef strings and mix well all the ingredients.
- Make sure the beef strings are tender, if they are too hard, add more beef broth and low the heat to medium/low.
- After 30 seconds, add the chopped scallions to the pan mix. Stir all the ingredients for a couple of seconds and turn off the pan. The Peruvian Lomo Saltado is almost ready, only the preparation of the characteristic French fries as accompaniment is left.
- Cut the potatoes lengthwise into 1/3 inch slices, then season them with salt and pepper (Also garlic paste as optional for better taste) and fry them well on a pan with oil at high heat. Once they are crispy and golden take them out and drain the oil well.