Sometimes we need a quick recipe, but that does not means a quick meal should not taste really good. Pollo al Sillao or also known as The Peruvian Sillao chicken is a great example of a quick food recipe without losing great taste. This recipe takes about 30 minutes or less (If you don’t marinate the chicken) and it will bring you a delicious meal.
The sillao sauce used for the Sillao chicken is a Peruvian ingredient, also known as soy sauce, this ingredient is a result of the gastronomic exchange Peru has gone through, mixing Asian cuisine, Japanese cuisine and South American cuisine. The name of the Sillao sauce comes from the Cantonese name of soy sauce “Siyau” (豉油).
This preparation is just perfect for a delicious meal, you can serve rice, French fries or salads as an accompaniment. You can save even more time for this preparation if you leave the chicken marinating through the night and cook it the next day, it will acquire all the sauce taste.
Ingredients (4 portions)
- 8 chicken pieces
- 3 tablespoon of grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon of anise liquor
- 1 teaspoon of garlic paste
- 1 teaspoon of Chinese cinnamon (Regular ground cinnamon also works well )
- 1 teaspoon of cumin
- 3 tablespoon of sesame oil
- 8 tablespoon of Sillao Peru sauce (Regular soya sauce might work as well)
- 1 teaspoon of sugar
- 1 tablespoon of cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon of oyster sauce
- Sesame seeds to taste
- 1 big red pepper
- 4 sticks of scallions
- Salt and pepper to taste
- On a small bowl prepare the sauce, for this you need to mix together the grated ginger, the anise liquor, the ground cinnamon, the cumin, the garlic paste, the sesame seeds and oil, the ouster sauce, the sillao sauce and salt and pepper. Mix everything well and keep it.
- Place on a big bowl the chicken pieces previously cleaned properly. Add the sauce you prepared and stir everything, make sure all the pieces have enough sauce.
- Macerate the chicken at least for 30 minutes with the sauce. For a better taste, marinate for 2 hours.
- Now, warm up a pan at high heat and brown the chicken preys without adding the sauce. Make sure to cook it well from both sides.
- Once the chicken is brown, you need to low lower the heat and add the liquid and the sauce left on the bowl. Cover the pan and let the chicken cook well, usually it takes about 30 to 35 minutes.
- After 20 minutes since the chicken has been ready, let it cool down at room temperature and take apart some of the sauce with a small bowl. Dissolve the cornstarch on this sauce and add it to the chicken. If there is not enough sauce, use cold water. Cook for another 20 minutes at low heat.
- Add the sugar to the preparation and mix well. Also add the red pepper chopped into slices and the scallions chopped into really small slices. Cover the pan and cook for 5 minutes.
- When the vegetables are cooked, turn off the preparation. Now is ready for serving.