Those who want a taste one of the real flavors of Peru, without any doubt must taste the incredible flavors Ají de Gallina can offer. This delicious Peruvian dish has spicy chicken with creamy yellow sauce. The chicken is shredded to facilitate the sauce penetration of it. The main star in this dish is the yellow pepper, a characteristic and really important Peruvian ingredient. Know how to prepare it perfectly:
1 Whole Chicken
33 fl Oz. of water or chicken broth (1 Liter)
1 teaspoon of garlic powder
4 Tablespoon of yellow Ají paste
7 Oz. Bread without the crust (200g)
2 Oz Black olives (55g)
6 fl Oz. Evaporated milk (200ml)
5 Oz. Nuts (150g)
6 tablespoon of Parmesan cheese
6 Medium potatoes
6 cups of white rice
Oil to taste
Salt and pepper to taste
- First, you need to make some previous preparations: Boil the eggs on hot water until they are hard. Then peel them and cut them into thick slices, keep them apart.
- The potatoes need to be washed, peeled and boiled on a pot with water until you can nail them with a fork and they fall off from it. Then cut it into thick slices and keep apart.
- You first need to cut the chicken into pieces (We recommend 8, so the flavors penetrate better each piece and to accelerate the cooking process )
- Cook the rice adding salt to taste.
- On a pot pour the water or chicken broth and then add the chicken pieces, bring to boil and heat it over low heat until the chicken flesh is tender. The time this process takes is approximately 1 and a half hour or two hours.
- Once the chicken is tender, let it cool inside the broth at room temperature.
- On a big bowl, mix together the bread and the evaporated milk with a mixer until obtaining a smooth mixture.
- Cut the onion in small cubes.
- On a pot, pan pour the oil and heat it, then add the onion and fry it until it turns transparent. Then add the garlic powder and the yellow Ají paste and mix together.
- Add to the pot pan the mixture of milk and bread previously prepared and 2 cups of the chicken broth obtained from boiling the chicken pieces.
- Cut in small pieces the nuts and grate the cheese.
- When the chicken is cold enough to handle it, peel the skin off and then shred it with your hands into medium pieces.
- Add to the pot pan mixture the shredded chicken and mix it with the sauce.
- Add the cheese to the pot pan; let it boil together for a couple of minutes, if the sauce is too thick, then add more broth.
- To serve it, first put rice on the dish and then add the slices of potatoes. On top of the rice put the chicken with abundant sauce. Decorate the dish with the olives, nuts and the slices of hard-boiled egg.